This week was a recovery week, given the holiday travels. Generally, we eat out too much on a recovery week, because DH and I feel an acute lack of tex-mex immediately on leaving Texas, and it takes us 2-3 doses to recover. My sub goal, after a perfect 10 for family dinner, was to just not eat out this week. Even with all my plans, we often eat out not as a whole family but as a subset. The Call of the Queso is a lure, among us.
Here’s the goal for this week, written after Monday’s supper, looking at a vacation-empty fridge and with an eye toward the pantry and freezer:
- Mon: tri tip, salad, broccoli/cauliflower, applesauce, cucumber and carrots
- Tue: Taco Tuesday! tacos al pastor, refried beans, queso,tortillas and fixings
- Wed: Prince Spaghetti day! alfredo noodles, roasted chicken legs, carrots, salad
- Thur: egg drop soup, fried rice
- Fri: pizza/calzone night!
And the actual:
- Mon: It’s possible for my self-esteem I should always make the plan after the fact. 4 people. Score: 1.5 points.
- Tue: Taco Tuesday! completely as advertised. 7:30 pm. 5 people. Score: 2 points.
- Wed: Prince Spaghetti day! also as advertised. 7:15 pm. 4 people. Score: 1.5 points.
- Thur: Refrigerator Buffet.Varied times. 5 people, different times. Score: 0.5 points.
- Fri: Pizza Night. No calzones, which should mean zero points, but I’m a wuss. 8:30pm. 4 people. Score: 1.5 points.
This is a marked improvement from the Land of 4s! In the land of 7.0! This is a lofty area, indeed.
I think what helped me this week was standing in front of the empty fridge, and being able to plan from the freezer/pantry. I posted in front of a zero shopping idea, and it worked. I bought fruit and vegetables, but other than that it was a pantry freezer/week. I should work on doing that more.
- Score: 7.0/10
- Plan followed?: 4/5 (point off for Refrigerator buffet)
- Effort?: middle
This is a definite boost, after the last two weeks. Tomorrow’s Goal Post will be centered around what was successful this week–using what’s on hand, and supplementing.