For everyone that’s had their mind clouded with cholesterol and poor choices since the Super Bowl, here’s the plan for last week:
- Mon: beef curry w/rice, spinach, berries
- Tue: baked chicken thighs, fruit, veg, carrot sticks
- Wed: Prince Spaghetti Day!
- Thur: osso bucco, polenta, broccoli, fruit
- Fri: Fish Fry!
Nothing crazy, no wild ambition to go all Hell’s Kitchen and make a Beef Wellington so Gordon Ramsay can holler about soggy pastry. Let’s go to the videotape:
- Mon: beef curry w/rice, berries, cucumber and carrot sticks. 3 points.
- Tue: baked chicken thighs, spinach, grapes, cauliflower. 3 points.
- Wed: out with friends to fried things and sunshine. 1 point.
- Thur: homemade pasta, meatballs, caesar salad, apples. 3 points.
- Fri: hot dogs, cauliflower, raw vegetable, strawberries, s’mores. 2 points.
A 12 pointer! That’s a good week. One meal shifted (spaghetti day), and one changed (minus osso bucco, add hot dog), but over all the week went as expected. The osso bucco got moved to the weekend, and the original night out was planned as a Fish Fry night turned into a different night out with friends.
Monday night’s dinner was the funny curry sauce I bought at Fiesta and tweeted about. What, you don’t follow CheepieAustin on Twitter? Why not? If it’s just because you don’t do Twitter, that’s not a good reason. I don’t do Twitter either, as evidenced by the facts that I feel compelled to capitalize it, I often forget to hashtag, and I’m being followed by more than one racecar driver for reasons deeply unclear to me.
That sauce is not going to be a favorite. It’s not even in the running. It’s a kind of fruity horrifying thing, and the fact that I laughed at the tagline ‘just add mutton’ was less funny once my house smelled like this stuff! It was very odd.
Friday night was originally a night out for fried catfish and hushpuppies. The remix to hot dogs was the result of Tiny wanting to cook her dinner over a fire in the fireplace, since it’d gotten so chilly out. It was a good plan, but the fire Boy built was so hot that nobody could stand in front of it long enough to cook a hot dog, so a kitchen assist was necessary. By the time s’mores were needed, the fire had burnt down a bit, thank goodness.
Overall I’m pleased with the week. Let’s hope I can say the same next week!