So. Here we are. First week done. Not to spoil you or anything, but I think this will be easy to keep as a recurring feature, given the room for improvement. To recap, this was the plan for the week:
- Mon: pork fried rice, broccoli, apples, spinach salad
- Tue: leftover posole (from the weekend), cornbread, avocado, grapes
- Wed: baked chicken thighs, pasta with garlic and oil, carrot and celery sticks, steamed spinach
- Thur: Refrigerator Buffet! (need a refresher on this? check here)
- Fri: Octoberfest party with friends
Here’s the actual:
- Mon: pork fried rice, spinach and feta salad, bananas, cucumber and celery sticks. 7:15 pm. people attending: 4. Score: 1 point.
- Tue: leftover posole, chicken and stars soup, wheat bread, spinach and feta salad, apples, avocado. Broccoli forgotten in microwave. 7:00 pm. people attending: 5. Score: 1.5 points.
- Wed: cheese pizza from the freezer, cucumber slices. 8:00pm. people attending: 2. Score: 0 points.
- Thur: broiled salmon, broccoli, blackberries, caesar salad, butter noodles, pesto, cucumber and carrots. 7:15 pm. people attending: 5. Score: 2 points.
- Fri: German food at Octoberfest. 7:00 pm. people attending: 3. Score: 0.5 points.
Wednesday was clearly the problem day, but Thursday was a good recovery. My scoring system is arbitrary, invented on the spot each night when I wrote down what we’d had for dinner. I took one whole point off if everyone wasn’t present, and a half point off for missing a food group. Out of a possible 10 points, this week was a 5. A flunk! With a plan, good intentions and internet accountability, I still fail family dinner.
- Score: 5/10
- Plan followed?: 3/5
- Effort?: medium
Tomorrow is another day. Surely, next week will be better. Halloween can’t disrupt a whole week, right? RIGHT?