This has finally come to pass.
The loss of three Southern Blackberry Cobbler was the hardest hit, felt by DH who thought he had laid in a six month supply. His reasoning here is much like the Kettle Thai chip logic: he’s the only one that likes it, so he knows he won’t have to worry about sharing.
I’d held off tossing them because at first it wasn’t clear that I needed to. Then, we went with, ‘it’s half eaten, so this one is fine’. After that I tried to rationalize keeping it all:
- Only members of the immediate family would eat it, just in case.
- We aren’t infants, elderly, or immunocomprimised, so we’ll be fine.
- The risk is really low of anything happening.
- The factory was a mess for a long time and we hadn’t gotten sick.
- It is a horrible waste to throw this much food away.
Eventually possible death overcame all of the objections and we tossed it. I think it was the right choice, but there is a small part of me that thinks I threw out a bunch of perfectly good ice cream.
On the upside, it made room for the pork loin on sale this week.